Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Bag Lady

I've found a love for bags, especially when I can make them into whatever I want, all the while choosing the perfect fabric for each person/bag. I decided to make my cute sister-in-law, Jenny, some practical bags that she could use for her job. She's a 3rd grade teacher and is constantly bringing stuff to and from her class room every day.

I looked at two different patterns and then merged the two to create hers. I actually made one for me first to make sure the measurements and everything turned out okay. I use mine all the time and would love to make more, soon hopefully!! My sewing list is about a mile long! :D


Jenny and her cute bags!
They are cotton on the outside and canvas inside. The straps are also double lined with canvas and then the cotton overlay. Super sturdy and oh so cute! :D
My cute Bernina, was able to embroider "Made with love" on the inside.

The other bag I made, I love just as much. It definitely has its own function. I was able to start and finish it conference weekend and am so happy with the finished product. The bag is gigantic!!! I brought it to work a few times and people made fun of me, so now I use it for my Nursery bag and it couldn't be more perfect. The pattern is by Amy Butler and is available for purchase here. I made the large Betty Shopper Bag and I love it. I'd like to try the smaller version one of these days and compare them.

People have asked me about the Amy Butler patterns. They aren't the easiest to read/follow/understand. I suggest reading through all of the instructions a couple times before starting the project, but for the most part I didn't think it was that bad.

The fabric I used was an Amy Butler Home Decor fabric that was pricey, but I fell in love and it was the first sewing project I did for myself, so it was justified. The inside fabric was Moda fabric that I also love. The bag has surprised me in durability, especially as the straps are just knotted through grommets.


Outside Bag
Inside of the bag: large enough to fit my scriptures on one side...
...and my crayons and materials on the other. It also have 4 VERY large pockets, two on each side.

9 comments:

Lara said...

Dang girl look at you?! These are awesome! Do you just make up the pattern or do you use one from somewhere? I'd love to learn how to make awesome bags like these!

Becky said...

Love those bags! Very cute!

Pitterle Postings said...

Emmy, I love those bags! You will need to help me make one when I come visit next month! You go girl!!! I am so proud of you.

Lindsey said...

again, incredible! i love the bag that you made for yourself. i need something like that for church...an all in one primary bag/diaper bag/purse. if i ever decide to make one someday i will definitely consult with you.

Kim said...

Don't you just love the satisfaction you get from sewing?! Great job on the girls camp stuff too, have to comment on that. And these bags are way cute! Can I pay you to make me one just like your big one?! I'm in love with it. I'm dead serious.

jack+alli said...

i love them! they look so professional. you could definately sell those, girl!

Lisa said...

You are SOOO talented. I need lessons. What kind of sewing machine do you have? One of these days, I'll make cute stuff like like with you. Miss you, we need to play.

Monica said...

YEAH!!!!! Love all the blog updates lady. : ) You are so dang crafty, love it!!! xoxo

Mars said...

those are ADORABLE! So talented! I want to learn how to sew better. I also have a love for Amy Butler Fabric :)