Thursday, January 26, 2012

Motherhood...

I've thought about posting Emma's birth story a million times. I didn't get around to typing it out until she was 2 months old and now my baby is 5 and 1/2 months old...I can't believe it, where did the time go?? The birth story still seems incomplete and it's hard to capture every.single.moment...so many emotions and things I felt that I wish I could put into words.




Motherhood is amazing. I'm not your typical first time mom who worries about every little thing. In fact I'd say I'm probably a little too relaxed for a first time mom. Matthew tends to be the more cautious and protective one. It's pretty cute. I am loving every minute I have with my sweet girl and I feel so lucky and blessed that I get to stay at home and be with her all day. Most days I don't get dressed or find the shower, but we hang out and have so much fun together.


I haven't been ignoring the blog because I'm overwhelmed or trying to get the hang of things, although I guess there has been a little of that. I've just been enjoying this new phase, the best one yet!! :D And part of me feels like if I share any pictures with you I have to share them all! What about all the milestones she's reached: first days, baby blessing, months 1-5, first time rolling over, first smile, first time eating solids...all these things I could post about and so much more! But then I'd be a mom who over shares and only talks about her baby (which I'm happy to do). 

So instead of worrying about all of that, I'll just post a few pictures and tell you what my little bear has been up to.



At 5 and 1/2 months:
*She loves her voice: Squeals, grunts, groans, laughs and did I mention squeals!?
*Eats solid food 3x a day and has tried the following: avocado, bananas, pears, apples, sweet potatoes, zucchini, butternut squash and of course the baby cereals of rice and oatmeal.
*She's a great sleeper and currently transitioning to 10-11 hours at night with 2-3 naps during the day.
*She's a great eater, both nursing and solids. She's fast and efficient (which caught me off guard how fast they get at nursing) and I love the bond that it brings.
*Bath time is her favorite. She is already splashing around and loves to hang out in the water on her back. The look she gives when she first enters the bath is hilarious, I will have to take a video and post sometime.
*Sleeps on her stomach (we had an incident at 2 weeks old, my mother instinct kicked it and told me to put her on her stomach to sleep, I've never regretted it).
*Rolls front to back and back to front (as of 01/18/12).
*Will walk across the room when daddy holds her hands. (Matthew loves this trick and is determined to have her walking in 2 months)
*Uses a sippy cup at meal times, although she spits out most of it, she's starting to get the hang of it.
*Blows bubbles and raspberries all day long!
*Loves peek-a-boo!
*Tries to sit up on her own and does a pretty good job when supported with the boppy or a pillow or something.  In fact, when she is supported a lot of times she can sit all the way up and either fall to the side or bend herself in half and lean ALL the way forward.
*Loves story time and singing time.
*Her eyes light up when daddy gets home from work.
*At her 4 month check up she was 50% for her height, 10% for her weight and 5% for her head circumference. She's probably gained maybe 2 pounds since then, but not much. We have a petite little girl on our hands.
*Her hair is CRAZY!!! People actually think I style it in a Mohawk, but I'm telling you it has a mind of it's own. 
*Her hair is also long enough to put in a ponytail on top of her head and is actually starting to fall in her eyes in the front, but it makes her look too grown up so we don't do it very often. Daddy prefers the crazy hair because its who she is.
*She will be content one minute and screaming the next, but overall she is a happy little girl!
*She loves her feet and will try to grab them and eat them whenever she is in her bumbo or laying on her back.
*Most of the time when she is on her back she will immediately roll to her stomach.
*Her bottom right tooth came through this past weekend and I just know her left one will pop through any day. I'm really going to miss her sweet gummy smile!
*Just last night she mimicked Matthew for the first time when he was blowing raspberries at her, she would try to do it back. It was the sweetest thing and I love watching them together.

There are so many other things we love about her, but these are just a few. I can't get over how fast she's growing and how much she's starting to interact with us. We love her so much and so wish our family and friends were closer so they could enjoy her as much as we do.

Motherhood is even better than I ever imagined. I'm so happy I get to have this experience and it makes me appreciate all mother's out there especially my own. The love that a mother has can't be described unless you've felt it yourself and even then, there are still no words that even come close. It's absolutely the best!



Christmas Day 2011
 

Waking up from her nap


Mom's Shopping Buddy! :)
 


  Meal Time


Just hanging out with Mom!



2 comments:

Bethany said...

OH my goshhh I'm so happy you blogged!!!! I love the photos! And I love everything you said about motherhood, it's all so true! She is such a beautiful mix of you and Matthew, with her own traits too. She is so perfect.

Mandy said...

thanks for the update! Better not read my blog. I definitely over share and only talk about my kids...... Glad you are having fun and it is crazy to me too that she is almost 6 months old. I knew it's been a bit, but I didn't think it was that long!